THE LAST BUS

It is Friday again and time for Friday Fictioneers to tell their stories of 100 words or so. We are hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields of Addicted to Purple.  This past week marks her third anniversay as host of this group of fictioneers.  Thank you Rochelle for your dedication and hard work.  And now, my 100 words inspired by this photo from Ron Pruitt.

the bus

The line inched slowly forward.  She hoped there was room for her. She craned her neck to see ahead of her.  Please! She whispered to herself.  She shifted her weight to one crutch, then to the other.

It was hard, but she had to get away fast.  She glanced furtively backwards.  Someone tried to move in front of her.  She quickly thrust her right crutch out.

“No, you don’t!”  She cried out.

Finally she was there.  She felt arms behind her.  Good, someone was going to help her get on the bus.  Then she heard his voice.

“No, you don’t!”

31 Responses to THE LAST BUS

1. Solothefirst says:

Oh no…. What an ending!

Oh damn, and she almost made it. I hope someone helps her… assuming that the one capturing her is someone bad and she hasn’t run away from hospital or something similar. Or maybe it was, No you don’t, Grandma? 🙂 Very intriguing.

You did well in conveying the urgency of her situation. Then ending is heartbreaking.

4. Dale says:

Oh the wretched, horrid man. Preying on someone in crutches…

5. Oh, this brought a groan of despair. So close!

6. rogershipp says:

Yikes! Sorry… no escape today. Well done!

7. Welcome to today’s society — where everyone gets a free deception. Thank you for this great story and reminder! I love it.

8. Sandra says:

Almost, but not quite. Well done.

9. Oh no! Maybe she can beat him(?) with her crutches and the other onlookers can help…although as you said the bad things are not easy to get away from. So it goes

10. I do not know why she wanted to get away… maybe she had battered her old man with that crutch of hers… maybe it’s the sheriff pulling her into justice.

11. ceayr says:

Excellent job of building tension and killer ending.
    Am I right in thinking he is the reason she is on crutches?

12. ansumani says:

When the MC makes sure her no one cut her in the line , it seemed like she’s a woman who could stand up for herself…so I tend to think that the person holding her back at last won’t be successful . Nice one.

13. So close to a getaway… i sense this is not the first time she has tried, nor will it be the last

14. Poor woman. It must have been difficult for her to get that far. But, yes, life is sometimes tragic like that. Well written, Lily. —- Suzanne

15. Oh no I hate that she struggled on her crutches to get away and then….She could at least clobber him with the crutch. That would be very satisfying.