THE URGE

It is Friday night, a good time for Friday Fictioneers.  We like to tell stories of 100 or so words according to a photo prompt.  We are hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields of Addicted to Purple, author of Say Kaddish for Me, From Silt and Ashes and other books.  Congrats, Rochelle on your book launch.  Here’s my 100 humble words for this week.

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll

PHOTO PROMPT © J Hardy Carroll

Dusk had fallen. Night coming fast.  The urge stirred in his belly.  He sucked in his breath. Clenching his abdominal muscles, he willed all to be still inside.  He did not want to give in and lose himself.  A growl rumbled in the back of his throat.  He clawed at his neck.  Hair was growing on the back of his hands.

He glanced upward.  A sliver of moon slid out between the clouds.  Can he hide from it? Can he hang on?  He ducked into the darkness within the walls.  Damn, too late!  He raised his head and howled.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to THE URGE

1. Laurie Bell says:

Ooooo nice transformation scene. Creepy

Now this is a perfect spot for such a transformation to happen. I like the idea of him hiding from the moon as if that would change anything. Nice one, Lily.

3. oldentimes says:

Good job, Lily! You depicted this scene so well, I could see/feel the change happening.

4. Great piece Lily. Gothic and authentic.
    Tracey

Oh, great werewolf transformation. The fight against the inevitable is described so well.

6. Margaret says:

Well described. He resists each stage in his transformation but is powerless to resist.Fantastic ending – the howl becomes his expression of despair.

7. Oh the angst in knowing what you might cause being in the wolf stage… a cursed life without the wolfsbane potion.

8. jwdwrites says:

I like the way you built this story up from approaching night to his involuntary transformation. Good story. 🙂

9. athling2001 says:

Poor guy. Well written.

10. Lux G. says:

Whoa! Now that’s a story! Gives me goosebumps.

I could feel the werewolf’s pain. Well done.

12. Ooh, I haven’t read a good werewolf story for a while, Lily, and this was good. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne