SKIP TO MY LOU

It’s Friday and time for another tale of  100 words on the Friday Fictioneers. Our host is Rochelle Wisoff-Fields of Addicted to Purple.  This week’s photo prompt is courtesy of Kent Bonham.  I found it quite a challenge.  Do not judge me too harshly but I do welcome constructive critiques.
Photo courtesy of -Kent Bonham

Photo courtesy of -Kent Bonham

Skip, skip, skip to my Lou, Skip to my Lou, my darlin’
Mary sang as she skipped along. She had everything she was supposed to bring to the Brownie meeting – the grass, leaf and dandelion. Brown Owl would be so proud of her.
Flies in the buttermilk, shoo, fly, shoo
She lifted her right leg, ready for another skip.  Down she went!  Her face in the gravel, she tasted blood and dirt. Her red popsicle, now grey and pebbly laid inches away.

She lifted her head and saw her nemesis pedalling furiously away.  She shook her fist at him.

Brat!

This entry was posted in Fiction, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to SKIP TO MY LOU

1. Hi Lily,
    I enjoy browsing through your blog and just subscribed. I’m sure I’ll be learning something from you. 🙂

Thank you, Robbie! I’ve learned from you, too. You’ve reminded me of music and enthusiasm. So I’ve just finished tinkering a little on the piano. I can’t keep time well, but I still enjoy making a little music. I’ve been thinking about learning how to write instructions, too. Develop that side of my brain a little.

2. Ouch.. Kids can be mean.. Reminds of a scene from Calvin and Hobbes somehow..

Children are cruel. I agree with Björn. I could just see Calvin and Susie. And I like how you found a story from this prompt. It was my hope that people would use their imaginations to the fullest. Nice job.

4. empeck says:

Aw, poor Mary! She sounds like a cute kid, even if she does have to deal with a bully.

Very sweet story. Nicely done. 🙂

5. Alice Audrey says:

He probably likes her, but when you’re young who can be sure? Good one.

Aww, what a meanie and she lost her Popsicle. Not fun at all. I could just see the blood and dirt. I wanted to scoop her up and help her. Great story, Lily.

7. margirene says:

My daughter was a keen little Brownie many years ago. She had to face her share of bullies, too. Your story brought back memories for me. Thanks.
    Cheers
    Marg

Thanks, Marg. It is a true story. A boy ran over me wit his bike. I was in my Brownie uniform going to the meeting. Funny what one remembers after some many years.

8. Sarah Ann says:

Oh that is so sad. I was skipping along with Mary and she was so positive and happy. I hope she and the other Brownies work out a scheme to hunt down and punish the brat. 🙂

9. Oh, what a meanie-pants. And she was having so much fun!

10. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Lily, You are right – he is a brat and a bully! I love Alicia’s term “meanie-pants” which I haven’t heard for years . Great story and you did a wonderful job! Nan 🙂