FLICKERING LIGHT – Friday Fictioneers

Copyright Douglas M. MacIlroy

Copyright Douglas M. MacIlroy

She lifted her gaze from the screen to the candles and sighed.  She found him this time.  He showed himself when it mattered.  The candles flickered.  She felt his pain and remorse.

“I am sorry”

The whisper traveled through the years and distance.  It hung in the night air.  Then it was gone. The candles went out.  She was in the dark except for the glow from the computer screen.

She sat silent, motionless, stunned.  Then she put her head and arms on the desk and wept.  Relief and sadness swept through her. She was free at last.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to FLICKERING LIGHT – Friday Fictioneers

1. ahtdoucette says:

Poignant – and a little creepy. I like it.

2. dward29 says:

Very cool that you have chosen this as your format to start sharing your beautifully written prose. 🙂

3. That gave me chills! Keep on writing, I want to read more!

4. sophiebowns says:

Ohhh, I really loved this! I have goosebumps!

5. Alice Audrey says:

I’m with ahtdoucette. Poignant and creepy.

6. K.Z. says:

i like the subtle way in which he made his presence felt and that she was finally able to find freedom and forgiveness in the end. great story. 🙂

An ethereal sweetness about this. It seems she faced the ghost of her past and was ready to move on. Nicely done.

8. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Lily,

I enjoyed this story. Stranger things have happened.

Aloha,

Doug

9. Lily, Lovely story of one who has reconciled with the past . You captured the emotion thoroughly. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

10. Dear Hafong, Great story which I think is so very sad, but well done. Thanks for the read! Nan 🙂

11. A sense of discovery and loss and final relief in this story. Well done.

12. Ichiro Nakano says:

When I found this on Facebook I had to wonder who wrote this prose first. Have visited here and read your friends’ comments I understood the situation. Well written. “You found him” at last. I found Hokusai’s woodcut (perhaps) in a frame which you must have brought back home.