MURKY WATERS

It is Wednesday and good enough for Friday Fictioneers.  We gather each week with our stories of 100 words or so, inspired by a photo prompt.  We are happily hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields of Addicted to Purple.  Here’s my story to the photo prompt from Dale Rogerson.

PHOTO PROMPT – © Dale Rogerson

PHOTO PROMPT – © Dale Rogerson

Dang!  Wanda swore to herself.  The lake was getting harder and harder to swim in.  She wished people wouldn’t be so careless.  It used to be so good here.  The water was pure and clear.  You could see to the bottom.  You could drink all you want.  It was that sweet.

Now look at it!  Full of junk and algae.  And the smell.  Never mind the taste.  She could just gag.  She hope that they would wake up soon before it was too late.  What could one do?  She swims away from debris.

Oh dang!  She’s snagged  her fin again.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to MURKY WATERS

I think that’s when I’d find a nice swimming pool. Ech. Good story though

2. I think I recalled a film called “A fish called Wanda”… could it have been an inspiration?

Right on! I tried to find out why it was called that but no luck. I’m so linear in my thinking so trying to be a little more creative. Thanks for the read.

3. Dale says:

Poor thing. It is a sad state of affairs that so many lakes and rivers are polluted by careless people.

4. I thought straightaway of “A Fish Called Wanda.” Such a charming (despite the yucky water) tale! Poor Wanda! Horrid humans!

5. micklively says:

I thought Kevin Kline had already eaten her?
    Clever piece.

6. Sandra says:

Poor Wanda. Spot of nail varnish on that fin should do the trick. Nicely done.

7. Great story, I just adore Wanda.

8. Cute twist from the fish’s perspective. 🙂

9. Solothefirst says:

Great twist at the end! Well done. Good message too

10. Fishy story.
    Is it fin-ished?
    Randy 😉

Poor fish, has nowhere to go. Great story. About A Fish Called Wanda: you should definitely watch it, it’s hilarious. It’s not only Kevin Cline, but also Monthy Python humour with some Jamie Lee Curtis humour thrown in. It contrasts the quirks of Americans with those of British people. Makes me want to watch it again…

12. I like the story told from the fishes P.O.V. Well done.

Oh, this is heartbreaking. Poor fish. They should be as made as hell at us. Nicely done, Lily. We need to hear from the fish.

14. subroto says:

“A Fish Called Wanda.” sprang to mind but I see it is entirely different and about environmental damage. Nicely done.

15. Poor Wanda. What a great twist at the end. If we don’t mend our ways, we’ll all be like Wanda, except we’re trashing our own home, not someone else. The result is the same. We, at least at present, have nowhere else to go. Well done. — Suzanne