LET THERE BE LIGHT

It is not quite Friday but close enough for Friday Fictioneers.  We’re headed by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields of Addicted to Purple.  We tell stories of 100 words or so –  inspired from a photo prompt.  Anyone can join in, if you’re so inclined.  Here’s my 100 words this week.

PHOTO PROMPT – © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

PHOTO PROMPT – © Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

She was momentarily blinded by the light.  In that moment, a memory of another light flashed through her mind.

She was six years old again.  Her mother was shaking her.

“Wake up, May!  Wake up!”

She opened her eyes.  A naked lightbulb dangled from the ceiling, its light blinding.  May stared in awe and silence.  She did not utter any words or questions but did as she was told.

They took a taxi from the hotel to the station and boarded the train to Hong Kong.  She will always remember that day when she first saw electricity and her father.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to LET THERE BE LIGHT

1. What a wonderful way to draw on memories for a beautiful tale!

2. plaridel says:

the feeling must be electrifying. 🙂

You’ve packed a lot of story into a few words. I can visualize this. Very nice.

4. Lovely story and writing, but I’m a little confused as to why she first saw electricity in that way when she was six.

Thank you, Claire! She was from the village with no electricity. She and her mother were on their way to Hong Kong when she was six. I’m not sure about China, but today there are still villages in third world countries without electricity.

• Ah! I didn’t realise she was already on the way – I just assumed she was still at home and suddenly woken up and there was electricity! But that makes sense now.

5. micklively says:

Fiat lux. Good piece.

6. Vinay Leo R. says:

That was layered! I didn’t get it at first, but I’ve sort of got it now! 🙂

7. Nifty! Reminds me that we didn’t always have light bulbs lighting our rooms!

That must have been pretty amazing to see at six years old. Growing up with it, you take electricity for granted. Great story, Lily.

9. Margaret says:

Nice description of the child’s memory. Interesting that her first sight of electricity is connected with her first meeting with her father. I like how one flash of light serves to take her back to another in her childhood.

10. It has to be a strong memory.. with the world filled with refuges there has to be many memories that will be remembered 20 years from now

11. Lux Ganzon says:

Aw, how poignant. Also fitting for today’s Father’s Day.

A very interesting memory, and a good reminder of what we take for granted.

13. That would have been a memorable day indeed, especially for a small child. Good description, Lily. Well done. 🙂 — Suzanne

14. I am happy to be here and reading your post. I look forward to reading more posts on this site. Thank you.