THE TABLE IS SET

It is Friday and time for Friday Fictioneers with their tales of 100 words or so.  We are hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields of Addicted to Purple.  You can join in if you feel so inclined.  This is my 100 words this week.

dining-room

PHOTO PROMPT – Copyright – Jan Wayne Fields

The sun had set.  Shadows danced on the walls in the gathering dusk.  He looked out into the empty courtyard.  The geraniums still bloomed a brilliant red but the trees were shedding their leaves.

The table was perfect – the crystal glasses, fine bone china, napkins, candles.  Champagne was chilling in the ice bucket.  Everything was ready.

He paced back and forth in front of the window.  Where was she?  Why can’t she be dependable or be on time for once in her life?  He was fuming inside.  He looked at his watch again.

A sense of unease came over him.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to THE TABLE IS SET

1. AnnIsikArts says:

You’ve managed to hint at a problem in a relationship through the speech of one of the duo. I begin to suspect why the lady might have indeed vanished. Subtle.

2. hafong says:

Thank you! Funny how a story evolves sometimes.

This prompt does have a foreboding quality, nicely achieved in your story. Nicely done, Lily.

4. Sarah Ann says:

Good descriptions followed by the quick turn of emotions. I hope his unease is unwarranted.

5. I like the way you brought i the contrast of the bright color of the flowers and the gloom outside and in his thoughts. Well done.

6. Nice scene! The “for once in her life” tells us so much about where their relationship might be headed…

7. I wonder of the ring in his pocket started to be heavy right now… very tense really..

8. It makes me think she might have made the right decision. 🙂

9. Margaret says:

I like the shifting emotions and the open-endedness of it – something’s definitely gone wrong I think.

10. I could sense the tension in your story, Lily. The description was great. Poor guy. It doesn’t look well for a happy ending. Well done. — Suzanne

11. wildbilbo says:

Ah, this was really well done – the set up was great, then with the irritation slowly becoming unease… great writing.
    Cheers
    KT

12. You noticed the geraniums too. It must be a Canadian prairie-folk thing (I am next door to you – in Manitoba).