ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

It’s not quite the bewitching hour yet but close enough for Friday Fictioneers and their stories. We are hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.  We are both addicted to purple.  Here is my short and not so tall tale of 100 words.  Story telling is very therapeutic.  That’s what everyone says.  It’s true.

ff

Copyright – Janet Webb

Alice glared at the mirror.  She stuck her tongue out at her flat face, slanty eyes and little flat nose.  She wanted to smash the image.

Why couldn’t she have been exotic, tall and have big eyes with double folds like Nancy Kwan?  What white ghost would want her with her tiny bosom?  It would only be for play. That’s what Aunty May said.

She allowed Aunty to introduce her to this nice Chinese boy. Later she heard his assessment. Girls like her were dime a dozen in Hong Kong!

She punched him and walked off with the white guy.

Gallery | This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to ALICE THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

1. Alice Audrey says:

Good for her punching him, though I wonder about the white guy. Guys who think anyone is a dime a dozen usually turn out to be nothing special themselves.

Alice was caught between 2 worlds, belonging to neither the Chinese nor the white. I believed she did the best she could. But she can never know for certain how she is loved.
      Thanks for your comment, Alice.

2. Thanks for attaching the link. Sad women can’t accept who they are and what they look like! You caught the feeling nicely.

3. To be between those two worlds – I hope she made the right choice. But to asses herself in the mirror like that is probably destructive

He deserved that punch. I think it was a good call to go with the white guy, and maybe the only thing she could for the moment. I hope she will be able to like her image in the mirror someday. Nice one, Lily.

5. hafong says:

Thank you, Amy! I hope she can see her true self some day.

No human beings are a dime a dozen, are they? I’m sure Alice is beautiful in her own right. Well done.

7. My mother always said that every pot has a cover.
    I’m not sure what that means.
    But I like to cook.
    Enjoyed the story.
    What do you think about Jewish men?
    Randy

What do I think about Jewish men? I feel it’s a trick question. 🙂 Are you Jewish? I personally don’t know any Jewish men so I can’t offer an opinion.
      As for pots, not all have covers so your mother is wrong. Don’t tell her though.
      Thanks for reading.

• I never do trick questions.
        I never understand the point of a trick question or responding to a question as if it were a trick or a trap.
        Either I am comfortable answering a question or I am not. I either know the answer or I don’t.
        And I am Jewish.
        And maybe you are right – not every pot has a cover.
        Some are meant to boil out in the open.

Randy

8. Lily, No one should be judged on looks alone. I’m sure she just lacked confidence and there was nothing wrong with her looks. I’ve seen girls who were not judged as pretty by some do well in life and find husbands who loved them.. Brains, talent, and personality count for a lot. Good and well-written story. 🙂 —Susan

9. I hope she learns that beauty isn’t just outward and then meets someone who feels the same way. Such a difficult time and situation! Nicely rendered story.

janet

10. Nan Falkner says:

Dear Lily, Wonderful story and I can feel the hopelessness of her self-esteem. Too bad, I’ve always thought all Asian women look pretty. This is an Excellent story! I’m glad she clobbered the rude smart aleck. Someday, she will meet a perfect man who will worship her body and soul.
    Nan 🙂